A Few Words on Transparency

Hi, I’m Matt, one of the Web Producers here at ControlTV (those are my dogs you see in some of the cutaway cards).  One of the things that really excited me about doing this project was the idea that  our subject (as we called him before we knew it would be Tristan) had nowhere to hide — this is live 24/7 after all!  Well, come launch day I realized that exciting idea cuts both ways; if we have a problem in Master Control, we also have nowhere to hide — this is live 24/7 after all.

So, we’ve had problems.  Some we thought we might have and some we didn’t see coming.  We’ve fixed a lot of them, and we’re working on the others.  But you knew that, we can’t hide from you.  If there’s something you see that maybe we haven’t, please email me at [email protected], twitter us at @youcontroltv or hit us up on our Facebook page.

One thing that surprised all of us here was how quickly you have taken a real interest in Tristan.  Obviously we liked the guy, and hoped you would too, but your investment in his life has quite frankly touched me.  You are very active in shaping the experience  - Tristan talks to YOU directly, and you talk back to him.  Every show I’ve ever worked on, people always ask the same question, “How do we get the audience more involved?”  Now I know the answer is to stream it live and give your star access to his Twitter feed.
Even more, you are talking directly to ME, which I didn’t expect.  You guys are letting  me know what shots you like, what you want to see in the future, technical problems and other matters.  ALL of this input is important to me and to everyone here.  It’s your show, so keep the comments coming!

Thank you all for your patience, your support and your involvement in what we’re doing here.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

21 Comments

1. Willy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I like it when Tristan talks to the camera or even saying out loud some of his thoughts.Tell him not to hesitate talking to himself. (After this experiment is over he might have to “unlearn” that, ) Also him looking at the camera keeps his audience more involved. As for technical difficulties, we know you’re working on them like crazy. There are so many people involved. It must be nerve-wracking, but the experiment is worth it.Ya’all are learning from it I guess….

2. Test
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Ok just stared watching today. Things are SLOW… no wonder it is an experiment to start… but it is so clear that this could be fun.
    So Carmen shows up today and this is GOOD. She is great to look at and it is fun watching Tristan try to look at her while trying not to look at her…. but where are the camera angles and the lighting. I can hardly see her and that’s a waste.

And only one vote… what to call her? We could of had all kinds of fun with this.
    While I’m at it… put Carmen in there 24/7 and have tristan show up once.
    That aside Tristan is pretty likable, so good luck on getting this to flesh out.
    Sincerely.
    Test.

3. VanessaMLooney
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

It’s cool that the site updates on twitter, but is there a way to have a written synopsis of the day?

4. Willy
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t Tristan do some arts & crafts ? Maybe buy him some none-firing clay or paper and acrylic paints or an origami kit with instructions ? .So he could create some art for us to see? If he doesn’t know how to draw realistically he could make an abstract, acrylic painting. A camera could even accompany him to an arts & craft store and let him pick out some materials to make something on the show.

Even if he’s not artistically inclined it would be a good experience for him nevertheless.

5. narutofightindreamer
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I know this will sound totally bizarre. But, I can assure you it’s as logical as the rest of the suggestions coming in………………..I think “Tristian” would look really cool wearing “Striped” Dickies Bib Overalls with a grayish blue t-shirt and kelly green hoody…………….. The “Light Brown” Dickies Overall’s with a “Dark Gray T-shirt and hoody would look cool on him too…………………………I’ll admit to being a big fan of bib overall’s!

• pnewman679
      Posted October 10, 2010 at 8:58 am | Permalink

What time does this guy wake up?

• Posted October 10, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Believe it or not, unless there is a Mariachi band, that’s one thing we try and leave up to Tristan.

6. David
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Great concept. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

7. chrissie
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 12:38 am | Permalink

I’m really enjoying the live feed. You’re all doing an awesome job. This experiment has loads of potential. I really like the idea of giving Tristan challenges to do and having rewards and punishments if he doesn’t succeed. In Canada, we have
    a little show called “Kenny vs. Spenny”. I realize that our censorship laws are a lot more relaxed than yours, but if you could get him to do even half of what they do, I could see Control TV going viral. You’re probably not familiar with the show, so
    here are a few clips I found online. Watch them for fun or inspiration. Can’t wait to see what you guys will have Tristan do next :)

Kenny vs.Spenny on Cribs

Who can piss off more people?

Worst dare/humiliation

8. JSPuff
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Just signed up .. interesting

9. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Working at the Greasy Wiener, Tristan is such an easy-going guy, taking it all in stride. It’s making me hungry….

10. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

His New Jersey Supervisor says Tristan performs his task perfectly ,”you’re solid, dude”. I voted for him chopping onion, and that’s what he’s doing, even though the mayority wants him to make the chili. Are the voting results delayed?

11. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Of Course, the mayority wants him to wear the wiener costume and solicite potential clients. I voted for that ,too. Sorry for Tristan, but he’s the puppet, and we are the puppet masters….

12. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I was just wondering how hot it is in LA for him to wear that costume and there he just says it’s 90 degree weather . But someone has to sell them Greasy Wieners….

13. yesitstana
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I think all of you guys are really doing an awesome job at creating new things for the show! It must be kind of difficult getting those shots and different angles, but it’s greatly appreciated. I think you guys did an amazing job at picking Tristan. He’s nice, funny, handsome, humble, and an all around great guy. You guys definitely do a great job at trying to let the viewers “Control TV” as much as possible. Keep up the great work. =]

14. Gary.Esch
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 9:21 am | Permalink

How do we interact on this show?

• sarahsido
      Posted October 14, 2010 at 9:35 am | Permalink

There are voting opportunities during the day.

15. Willy
    Posted October 15, 2010 at 9:16 am | Permalink

9:15 AM in LA zzzzzzzz still sleeping !

16. brent hamptoon
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

many of the fustrations viewers get with shows can usually be tied to lack of communication
    by having real and productive dialogue viewers feel that your making the show more fore the viewer and not just some demographic statistic.
    viewers can ask questions about decisions or content or make sugestions that may actually be incorperated and not just some glossy recording “your input is important to us, please stay on the line” viewers may not allways agree with your decision but you don’t alienate them because of lack of interaction.
    viewer freedom and viewer input is very important to my viewing expirence.

17. KaLaNi
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

i just heard about this experiment this morning. I signed up & started watching the episodes, i have to say i’m hooked! IDK why this is so interesting to me…….either way i heard that Seth Green was behind this with Matthew Senreich…..(LOVED, LOVED, LOVED robot chicken) Because i think Seth Green is an absolute GENIUS i checked this out, i seriously am hooked!!
    Tristan is so cute & seems super sweet…..go w/flow kind of guy!! LOVE IT! Can’t wait to see more!

18. Willy
    Posted October 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Still checking in every day when I come home and voting when I have a chance. I suppose facebook and especially Twitter have the most comments by followers. I just stick to this blog. This experiment is turning out to be a success. Following with great interest while eating my snickers bars.

• Season 2 launching in Summer 2011. Stay tuned for more about our final two candidates, Kelly and Will!