“Reality” or Reality?

This morning I swore in Tristan Couvares as the subject of ControlTV. I’ve been directing reality TV, including THE BACHELOR, for many years, and I was struck by how totally different this was… and yet, in some ways, familiar. In both CTV and reality TV, non-actors are exposing every aspect of their life to the camera. An audience of strangers develops strong attachments to them, and strong opinions about their actions. Their lives become heightened, exaggerated, dramatic versions of real life. However, in ControlTV, there is no editing of the live stream at all…the only thing we can do is cut away. It’s extremely raw and personal. And the producing of the show is part of the show. The cameramen step into the frame. This morning, we had a P.A. have to tape over the logo on Tristan’s protein powder while he was trying make a shake. And Tristan frequently speaks directly to us and the crew. Why hide what everyone knows is happening just off screen? It’s all part of this bold experiment. We’re glad you’re along for the ride.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

20 Comments

1. smadga
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:22 am | Permalink

great show, true post.

2. Nicki
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I love how real it is! and I’m glad tristan isn’t just ignoring the camera crew. If you can see them, they’re there, and it only feels natural to converse with them. <3

3. ml07ee
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Very interested how this will shape Tristan’s life. I hope for the better and then this could be a whole new type of therapy. haha for now it will be entertainment. good luck Tristan.

4. angelus78gak
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

I think so far the experiment is going great, like a real world EDtv :D

5. ibjonathan
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I think Tristan should go ahead and talk to the camera’s and crew if he’s inclined. I’m watching him now in his studio and its a little boring just watching him shower and get dressed. He missed so many opportunities to talk to the cameras and joke around or whatever with those who he knows are watching.

6. Anders
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I love how you are not worried about letting the camera people step into view and openly said that you covered the logo of a product.

7. Willy
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Another vote is coming on? So far I just see still the shirt shorts/shirt tie/ boxer short kneesocks thing. Thats ol already.

• Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

You have to hit refresh or “Vote an View” again when he says there’s a new vote coming in.

8. Willy
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

OK I’ll do that next time. I was too late now.

9. californiasun
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

cant seem to vote yet

• Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

There hasn’t been a vote in a few hours. When he announces the vote, click the vote again, or refresh your screen.

10. des4045
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I am so interested in how this is all going to go, waht all will be disclosed and how it will end. could be the start of something great or a total disaster. only one way to find out.

11. Willy
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I got a message time to vote again. I voted but it’s the old play the guitar, call a friend clean room again. I clicked Vote and View again but the same thing comes up. I don’t see “refresh” only from Settings at the top I see refresh toolbar, but that’s not it, no? anyway I clicked that ,too. I also tried “Vote again” but no new subjects to vote for came up. I have been able to vote once, but now it doesn’t work.

12. Willy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I often check in too late to vote, but this time I could still do it. Can’t believe the mayority wants him to poach his eggs! I like eggs fixed in alot of ways except poached, I said hard-boiled, because love it that way with mayo. OK, I’m glad I got this off my mind…..

13. Willy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Hahaha! Did Tristan really try to poach eggs in the microwave! and then he cleans the microwave with dry paper towels. Being a female with motherly feelings, I want to stick my hand into the comp.screen to help the poor boy telling him to take out the glass tray and rinse it.

14. Willy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Question: Do you get the images just a moment before us ? Because how do you block an inappropriate word before it gets to us ?

• Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

We have to have at least a 30 second delay for legal reasons, but other than that, we’re live.

15. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Oh-em-gee ! bacon wrapped around the hot dogs ! The heck with the cholesterol ! I want one !

16. brent hamptoon
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I like how production is included naturally as part of the project. in this type of theme trying to hide them or not talking to them would feel fake like ignoring a rhino in your living room.
    besides some of the talks with the crew are very enguaging and make for facinating content.

17. Willy
    Posted November 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I just came home with a bunch of snickers bars. They were always my favorites, but I don’t want to eat too many sweets. I guess that the Snickers ad popping up while I watch Tristan has influenced me.

• Season 2 launching in Summer 2011. Stay tuned for more about our final two candidates, Kelly and Will!