The Experiment

Tristan is perfect. We are almost two weeks in and he’s exactly the person we wanted for this experiment. And between us, we weren’t sure when we met him if he would be.

When Seth and I saw the very first interview with Tristan, we were split. He’s a little shy. He’s a little uncertain. His voice kept wavering in the interview and you could see him get uncomfortable in front of the camera. How would viewers react to someone like this? Especially if it’s an every day, every hour, every minute experience.

These were the questions that sparked conversation amongst all of us producers. Even when we met him in person, it wasn’t just Seth and myself who were split, but there was a big debate amongst the producers on whether or not he would click with the audience. It was at that point that Ken Fuchs said that we should take him out one night with a camera and test him. That footage…made me get my man crush on him. It was the moment where he was in a dark bar and a bright light was shining on him. He had this self-awareness to the absurdity of the situation. He talked to the camera as his friend. He was being overly aware that he was on some sort of odd reality show.

From the beginning, we all wanted this show to include you, the audience. The cameras are there. There is no faking it. The audience is interacting with Tristan and Tristan needs to interact back. I’m addicted now and find myself in the midst of work, with Tristan on in the background. And now I’m as curious as everyone else is to see how we can help him find the direction he wants.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

14 Comments

1. rosh2165
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

So true, Matt. Glad we made the right decision.

2. conrad owens
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

i completely agree that tristan is the perfect fit for this project he has the rare ability to appeal equally to both men and women and do so without coming off as a “Mr.Perfect” type

3. conrad owens
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

unrelated side note i may complain a bit on twitter (@leelo124) but i do love the show and wanna say thanks for all the cool/hard work you guys are doing :)

4. blayke777
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Did you have a specific criteria you were looking for? If so, what was involved? Was there a debate over a male vs. female candidate?

5. brent hamptoon
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:15 am | Permalink

whoever set up control TV did a suprisingly good job in many cases far better than the much larger studio did with IICD I was allways complaining about the cameras or mics or lack of viewer freedom or content but you guys, while different anticipated many of those concerns.
    some thing i would sugest is a calendar to enable fans to try to arrange time to be logged in during interesting events.
    some more texting or emailing of events or happening especially if there is a unexpected change like a news flash.

I would have prefered two people in the loft preferably a guy and a girl I would think it would have a wider viewer appeal and more interaction and content possibilities.

6. Groucho
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I agree. What makes this so interesting and “real” is he doesn’t try to entertain everyone. He’s just living his life and interacting with his audience where needed.

7. tessarich
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 4:59 am | Permalink

Honestly speaking Tristan is too cute and I want to give him what he wants. My judgement is blurred. I make some of my decisions based on what I think will make him happy LOL.

8. KaLaNi
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I like this so much, i think because he doesn’t always seem comfortable in what he’s doing or what he is going to do next…..I think that’s why people are drawn to him. He doesn’t seem like another actor on another reality show, it’s not scripted or rehearsed, just a guy being himself!!! It’s so hard to not have the live feed constantly on in the background, just because you want to know….what’s tristan doing now? LOL!! I really like this for so many reasons, i will be following this fanatically to the end of the 6 weeks….. =)

9. alinalovesbuffy
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Tristan is amazing, I can just sit there and watch him for hours!!! And i also make my decisions when i vote, with consideration of his wants, I do wanna make him happy. Thank you guys for an Awesome show!!! Love, love, LOVE it!!!

10. stacey718
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Honestly, I think you picked the perfect person. He is very down to earth and someone that most everyone can relate to in some way. I think he’s very open and honest…and adorable :) And like KaLaNi said he doesn’t seem like anyone else on other reality show’s…he’s not out to impress anyone and seems to really say what anyone would honestly be feeling in the same situation….I just found out about ControlTV and now I’m hooked! It’s a bit odd making decisions for someone else but he is human and I am keeping that in mind as I cast my vote each time. Hope you are having some great new experiences Tristan…this in a sense kind of reminds me of the movie “yes man”.

11. Posted October 21, 2010 at 12:42 am | Permalink

I think this is such an amazing idea. I am addicted to it now and I only started watching it today. I don’t want to turn it off in fear of missing something. It is odd to me too because it is not like Tristan is always doing something worth watching (he is cute but not THAT cute lol). I am drawn to this though and love watching it. I am really looking forward to how his life pans out in the next six weeks. I only wish he would reply to people more, I would love to get to know him as a person.

12. tambermn
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 6:53 am | Permalink

LMAO @ the person who says Tristan is cute and u wanna give him what he wants because I think that’s exactly what has happened with the majority of the viewers, He’s just too darn likable to vote against him but we gotta mix it up occasionally. I don’t complain on twitter if I’m bored or dis-satisfied with something Tristan has said I just go silent, it would be a helluva lot easier to turn it off but there’s something about this experiment and Tristan that makes me stay so Kudos to all of you for casting him you did a Fabulous job!

13. tessarich
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I do vote for him in his favor not only because I think he’s cute but he’s also a sweet guy that I don’t want to hurt or see suffer . With that being said I wonder if the person they had chosen wasn’t very good looking or if it was a woman I wonder if I would be so kind. I watch several reality shows and I know am capable of major destruction given the chance. But I must also admit the choices that they give for Tristan are rather tame, so I am not really tempted to be bad. I have made a couple of choices where I think he would be a little bit uncomfortable but like I said I give him what he wants (LOL), for example when he wanted Dove, I really wanted to choose the guy but Tristan had he’s way with me LOL.

14. Lorelei
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Beautifully said. =)

Just four recap episodes and I am hooked. =) I haven’t even watched a live show yet. Shhh.. Tristan was sleeping…

Thank you. You all have done something really amazing here. On the social level you are connecting us and reminding us that we are all the same. We each have to do, whatever it takes each day, to make the best of every opportunity that is presented to you – no matter how comfortable or uncomfortable the circumstances are, to achieve the best for yourself and your support system.

Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. – Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium in Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium (2007)

Brilliant. =)

On the business level, the simplicity of the site lets the content and its visitors speak for itself. Your advertiser integrations are innovative and have a positive message around every single one of the brands – they should consider themselves fortunate to be part our history with this innovative and real life game changer for Tristan, and anyone who allows themselves to be open enough to see the lessons here can apply to anyone, at any stage of life.

Thanks everyone involved. Thanks Tristan for giving up control. =)

You definitely made an impact on my life. =)

• Season 2 launching in Summer 2011. Stay tuned for more about our final two candidates, Kelly and Will!