The First Chapter

Today, the first of October two thousand and ten, I began the first chapter in the craziest thing I’ve ever agreed to do: ControlTV. I’m going to assume that if you’re reading this, you’re already well aware of what we’re doing here, so I won’t get into detail describing it.

Today began at 6:00 AM. I woke up in utter exhaustion because I’d been up until almost 2:00am playing taxi driver for some friends coming and going from LAX. Anyway, I woke up unsure as to where the shooting was going to begin (at 7am), did a little texting with the production staff and learned that we’d be shooting at my apartment at 7:00am. 7:00am sharp and a film crew was knocking at my door ready to film me moving out of the place I’ve called home for the last two years and to capture me saying goodbye to Ashley.

This was my first experience trying to exhibit real emotion while being surrounded by a film crew, and to say it was awkward would be a serious understatement. Human beings have to adapt to survive, so as difficult as it was to ignore the horde of camera and production people following me around, I do believe with time I will be able to do this.

So I packed a bag, hopped into my new Ford Fiesta and took the drive to the new loft. The new loft is amazing; I’ve never lived in a loft-style apartment and I couldn’t believe how big the place was. The ControlTV team did a great job of furnishing the place and I’m so excited to be able to live there for the next six weeks. (That is if you all aren’t too cruel to me.)

The rest of the day was spent adjusting to the new apartment, getting comfortable in it. Ken Fuchs stopped by for a bit and we had some mimosas, which was awesome. Also, Seth Green and Matt Senreich stopped by to see how everything was going. We took a picture by one of the cameras and Seth tweeted it right afterwards – that was pretty cool.

Today was the “test-shoot” or sort of a dry run to make sure that everything was working properly, so we practiced going to get lunch (at Big Wangs) and walking around the block. I think one of the weirdest parts of this experiment (I guess it’s all really weird) is looking at the reaction on the faces of everyone was you walk around with a paparazzi-like entourage.

Anyone close to me will tell you I’ve said I was going to back out of doing this show at least a dozen times, even as recently as last night. However, yesterday I fully realized that this is no longer an option. I don’t think I can pinpoint an exact moment when I had some great epiphany – it was more of a slow realization. I looked around throughout the day at the team of people working so hard to get this show together. It was at this moment, I realized quitting or backing out would be incredibly selfish – there are far too many people personally invested deeply in this project. Like it or not, I’m in this for the next six weeks – for better or for worse.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

35 Comments

1. gkrewson
    Posted October 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

You are in for a great adventure, Tris. Remember that your family and friends love you (AND ARE WATCHING) so have fun in this once-in-a-lifetime experience! Love Ya!
    From your Mom

2. cwolf20
    Posted October 3, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

If nothing else you’re going to have fun. Seth doesn’t do boring after all. At least from what I can tell.

3. wilsonsrt
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 9:53 am | Permalink

You sound like a good guy. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out for you

4. AmethystBaby
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I just read about this project in EW today. I wish you luck, I will try to be kind in my voting; now that I have written that I will do my best to keep my word. You sound like the type of person that will do there best to be honorable in the actions.

Namaste

5. RLanciao9
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

2 days and counting. Can’t wait to tune in!

6. Sarge
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

bro,
    make every day EPIC.

cheers!

7. Thehateduck
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I am about to waste large chunks of my life watching this

• sybrdiva
      Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:08 am | Permalink

LOL- I totally agree!

8. dcp19
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Like the masses before me, very much looking forward to this project and following the adventureous mishaps of Tris. Good luck mate. We’ll be WATCHING!!!

9. trixie58
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

2 more days.. This will be a very interesting adventure for you Tristan. Good luck and lets hope no one ever asks you to wear pink underwear

10. cheesehead
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Cool idea, I first heard of this experiment today in my Entertainment Weekly mag. I mentioned to my wife who only scoffed at the idea. I’m on board! We both watch Survivor together and seen several other “reality” shows on our own. This should be fun, like the Sims. Only lets hope less people want to see him suffer and more want to watch him succeed. My gut feeling says It’ll be the latter. Good luck!

11. Queensowntalia
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Being that the ‘net is rife with miscreants and mischief-makers I do fear good Mr. Cheesehead is a bit over optimistic, but I hope I am wrong.

Good luck with this experiment. At the very least, your life will not be dull. :)

12. JJay01
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I’ve got to be honest here… I was intrigued and pulled from a deep sleep once I heard about this. I will be following you, Tristan.

Live long and prosper.

13. norma33
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Something different ! Looking forward to watching your next 6 wks.! Have fun & Good Luck !!!!!

14. JBuonanno
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 3:37 am | Permalink

YAY TRISTAN tomorrow’s the dayyy….. I’ll be watching!!! hahaha

15. gcurrie
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

can’t wait for tomorrow my man. i’ll be voting, and telling everyone i know to vote as well. friendly votes, no doubt.

16. AzharAz
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Hey good luck man, heard about the experiment on Seth’s Twitter. Hope most of it goes well (come on, whats good TV without a little drama) anyways i’ll be voting. Good luck. =]

17. nicki
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Ahh this is going to be so much fun! I have a feeling you’re going to be the reason I show up late for every shift from now on. <3 Have fun, good luck, and I promise not to be too cruel with my voting. You're the reason I'm waking up early tomorrow!

18. yesitstana
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Good luck! I don’t know why, but I am super excited about this! You’ll definitely be mentioned in my blog. ;)

19. angellsnz
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 12:43 am | Permalink

You’re getting international interest….well actually I’ll be watching you from New Zealand. Good luck and have lots of fun. It looks a blast and you seem the type to just roll with the punches. I am sure Seth and Matt will look after you. :D

20. Kotte
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 5:46 am | Permalink

Hope it all goes well! I’ll (hopefully) be watching from Sweden.
    Enjoy these six weeks ^^

21. delabklyn
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Good luck Tristan! All of Brooklyn will be watching!

22. TattooKt
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Hello there stranger…heard you decided to allow people to use you as a puppet. Thought it might be fun to see what happens…maybe even pull a few strings. I’m sure with camera around it won’t be easy to find real people with real emotion and genuine personalities. Try not to let the big bad West Coast break you. The East Coast has your back.

23. catseyes1011
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Good luck Tristan.. This sounds like it could turn into a wonderful and enlighting journey for you . Its like The Big Brother show But centered on one person and their life so it will be different. I find having more people in the house you see their different personalitys clash and so forth but this could have potential if done with your personality and some humor which I know Seth Green has alot of that.Lol.. Have fun and enjoy the ride..

24. sybrdiva
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Good luck, Tristan! This is an awesome idea and I give you kudos for being the (first of many, I’m sure) to take on this experiment. I hope you enjoy your time. I, too, read about the project in EW and have voted only 2 times so far…but I HOPE they really don’t wake you up with a Mariachi band! Haha…Have fun!

25. Willy
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 10:50 am | Permalink

I voted for you to wear a tie and shirt for a change, but that was too conservative. Most want you to go with shorts and kneesocks. Well, I’ll go with that, but then lets go totally the other way and make it orange shorts with polka dots and purple kneesocks or something of the sort.

26. Willy
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Hey, shirts and tie won I see now. So, people aggreed with me .

27. lilbit1980916
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

I just heard about what you are doing. I am very interested in how it turns out good luck.

28. ilovereality
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Just heard about this today, get your butt out of bed and enjoy your breakfast! Big Brother fans will be checking you out and we are a very demanding lot!

29. Willy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Still sleeping, huh ? Oh, yeah,I keep forgetting it’s 3 hrs earlier there.

30. psa415g5
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 1:33 am | Permalink

just heard about the show on adult swim, during anime, thought i’d check it out. am gonna be rooting for you, bro, hope you score a great job and even better gf out of it at least =) you seem like the ki9nd of person i would call a friend, i mess with my friends like you did josh at race, glad you won. i will be sharing this to my facebook, and on all the mmorpg’s i play, hope my friends will vote nice, good luck and can’t wait for new episodes, you have way more courage than me, i would never be able to do what you are doing here

31. Fit Dakini
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

HI Tristan,

Great job on keeping up with the exercises the other day. Hope to work with you on the next series of exercises, but that’s not really up to me. It was really nice meeting and training you to say the very least. Thanks for doing your best!

In Health!
    Carmen Garcia

32. Willy
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Yay! Chop, chop, chop them onions! Way to go Tristan! Got to go for a moment to make lunch, you’re making me hungry……

33. delabklyn
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

The onions mad me cry…

34. Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I’ve always wanted a kid I could boss around. Now clean up your room and take out the trash! No TV until your chores are done!

• Season 2 launching in Summer 2011. Stay tuned for more about our final two candidates, Kelly and Will!